Our website may use cookies to improve and personalize your experience and to display advertisements (if any). Our website may also include cookies from third parties like Google Adsense or Google Analytics. By using the website, you consent to the use of cookies. We’ve updated our Privacy Policy. Please click on the button to check our Privacy Policy.

AboutDFIR.com – The Definitive Compendium Project
Digital Forensics & Incident Response

Blog Post

InfoSec News Nuggets 4/30/2020

Comcast waives data cap until at least June 30 in response to pandemic

After promising 60 days without data caps and overage fees for all customers, Comcast has decided to extend the data-cap waiver until at least June 30. Comcast announced the data-cap waiver on March 13, saying the waiver would last until May 13 to help customers deal with the pandemic. Today, Comcast said it will extend the data-cap waiver and other pandemic-related changes “through June 30 to help ensure students can finish out the school year from home and remain connected to the Internet during the COVID-19 crisis.” Also extended to June 30 is Comcast’s promise not to disconnect Internet, mobile, or home phone service and to waive late fees if customers “contact us and let us know that they can’t pay their bills during this period.”

 

Thousands of parents push Twitter to take steps to prevent ‘Zoombombings’

Thousands of parents across the country are calling for Twitter to take additional steps to combat online trolls, citing concerns that individuals are using the platform to organize major disruptions of online classes taking place on the video conferencing service Zoom. In a letter to Twitter CEO Jack Dorsey spearheaded by the group ParentsTogether, nearly 9,000 parents pointed to the recent spread of disruptions known as “Zoombombings,” which have interrupted or hijacked a number of online classes taking place on Zoom during the COVID-19 pandemic.

 

Apple, Google to release early versions of contact tracing tool to developers

Apple Inc and Alphabet Inc’s Google would release two early versions this week of their proposed technology to slow coronavirus spread to select developers for testing purposes, the companies said on Wednesday. The two Silicon Valley companies, whose operating systems power 99% of the world’s smartphones, had said earlier this month that they would work together to create contact tracing technology to slow the virus spread by allowing users to opt into logging other phones they have been near. The rare collaboration is expected to accelerate usage of apps that aim to get potentially infected individuals into testing or quarantine more quickly and reliably than existing systems in much of the world. 

 

Facebook and Twitter allow scammers ‘free rein’

Social-media companies are failing to clamp down on scammers selling people’s personal details through their platforms, an investigation from consumer watchdog Which? has shown. It found 50 profiles, pages and groups on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram offering stolen credit-card details, and Netflix and Uber Eats accounts. And much of the content had remained on the platforms after being reported. Facebook and Twitter said such activity was not tolerated and would be removed.

 

Coronavirus: Serena Williams among stars to compete in Mario Tennis tournament

Serena Williams, Naomi Osaka and Maria Sharapova are among the tennis stars who will compete in a live-streamed tournament of Mario Tennis Aces. Top tennis players will partner celebrities and play as characters from the game on Nintendo Switch. E-sports have surged in popularity as the Covid-19 pandemic has forced the cancelation of live events. Facebook Gaming will stream the event. The social media giant is making a push into hosting online gaming. The pairs competing include Serena Williams and Gigi Hadid, Naomi Osaka and Hailey Bieber, Maria Sharapova and Karlie Kloss, Kevin Anderson and Ryan Tannehill, Venus Williams and Deandre Hopkins, Kei Nishikori and Steve Aoki, Madison Keys and Seal, Taylor Fritz and Addison Rae.

 

Mobile banking customers at risk from new EventBot trojan

Users of online retail banking, money transfer services and other financial services applications are warned to be on their guard against a new Android mobile banking trojan, dubbed EventBot, which is targeting users of more than 200 services across Europe and the US, including Barclays, CapitalOne, HSBC and Santander. EventBot was first spotted in March this year and has been tracked extensively by researchers on Cybereason’s Nocturnus team. It abuses Android’s accessibility features in order to steal user data from applications, read SMS messages and steal SMS messages – the latter gives it the ability to bypass two-factor authentication.

Related Posts